Thursday, August 18, 2011

JOY IN THE SMALL THINGS

I got the chance to volunteer at a nursing home yesterday with my kids.  Something I hadn't done since I was a teenager myself.  My small group at church has been putting together service projects that we can do with our children.  I think it's a great idea.  It's always bothered me that I am not always able to volunteer in the ways I would like.

We helped them play bingo. Something so simple, but turned into something so meaningful.  I was so moved by the way my kids helped out.  They were not thrilled about going, but I gave them no choice.  They do not have any experience being around the elderly.  I knew they were a little nervous.  I told them just to smile, talk in a loud voice and look into their eyes.  A lady asked my son to wheel her back to her room.  It made me so happy to see them in this new environment.  It also gave me a chance not to think of my aches and pains as much.  I hope we get to do it again.

No comments: